The Host Institution application for the 2023-2024 year is now open! Apply by March 15th, 2023
The YEAR program partners with American Universities and Community Colleges across the United States to provide an enriching academic and cultural experience to YEAR students. Host institutions play a key role in the success of the program.
The program covers participants’ international round trip travel, tuition and mandatory fees, room and board, health insurance, as well as provides a small stipend and a book allowance for students.
YEAR students will enroll as full-time non-degree students at host institutions and take courses in their field of study, as well as American studies and elective courses.
Students study in the United States on a J-1 visa, and the YEAR program issues the DS-2019 Form.
YEAR Program Expectations from Host Institutions:
- two and four-year institutions that provide high-quality academic programs
- experience working with international students
- ability to provide a significant cost-share contribution. Cost-share can be offered in the form of full or partial tuition, partial meal plan cost waivers, scholarship, or other contribution
- providing academic, cultural, and logistical support to YEAR students
- place students in on-campus housing or with host families if on-campus housing is not available
- enrolling students in meal plans on campus
- ability to connect students with local communities and support identifying volunteering opportunities
- availability to connect YEAR students with host families on holidays, weekends, and/or school’s breaks to help students learn about American culture and values
YEAR Program Expectations from Students:
- enroll as a full-time, non-degree student at an American university or community college
- volunteer for a minimum of 25 hours in their local community as part of the community service activity
- maintain a good academic standing
- share their culture with American people and students on campus
- connect with American host families to deepen understanding about American culture and values
For any questions or additional information, please contact us at [email protected] or send your message using Contact Us page.