When is the application deadline for students?

The 2020 YEAR Student Application Deadline is 23:59 (Moscow Time), Sunday, December 29, 2019.

Am I eligible to apply if I am currently a high school student in the 11th grade?

No, the program is open to students currently enrolled in the first two years of a 4-year university program or first three years of a 5-year university program in Russia.

How can I apply for the YEAR program?  

Candidates should complete an online application and upload all required documents here.

What documents should I submit to apply for the program?

Participants should upload the following documents: copies of their high school and university transcripts, a letter of recommendation, and a copy of the international passport information page. Participants will also need to write a motivational essay (500 words limit) directly in the application form. Note: You won’t be able to attach the essay.

What is a non-degree program?  

While YEAR students are enrolled as full-time students, they will not receive a degree after the completion of the program. Students participate in coursework and can obtain a transcript of courses and grades from their American host institution. Depending on their home institution in Russia, YEAR participants might be able to transfer their credits acquired in the United States. Participants should discuss the possibility of credits’ transfer with their home university.

Will I get a bachelor’s degree if I participate in the YEAR Program?

No, this is a non-degree program.

Where will I live?  

Participants will stay with host families while studying in the United States. The YEAR program partners with the Council on International Educational Exchange to identify home stays for the students.   

Am I allowed to drive in the United States?  

No, YEAR participants are not allowed to drive cars in the United States. You may travel in the United States by car with your friends and host family.

Can I travel outside the United States? 

Participants can travel domestically in the United States, but international travel is not allowed.

What expenses will be covered by the YEAR Program? 

The program covers the tuition and mandatory university fees, round trip airfare from participants’ hometowns in Russia to host institutions in the United States, lodging and meals, medical insurance, a monthly stipend, and a book allowance.

What can I study in the United States?  

Participants will enroll as full-time students and take a course in American studies, at least six credits in their major field of study, and electives.

Can my family visit me in the United States?  

Family members can visit you in the United States, but they should be prepared to make all logistical and visa arrangements without the YEAR program’s involvement.

I am currently a third year undergraduate student in a four-year Bachelor degree program in Russia. Can I apply for the YEAR program?

No, participants should have at least one year to complete at their home university in Russia after completion of the YEAR program.

What transcripts should I submit with the application if I am a first year undergraduate student?

First year undergraduate students can submit the high school certificate with grades (школьный аттестат с оценками) with at the time of completing the application. If the candidate becomes a semifinalists, they will submit the the university transcript with winter session exams records at the later stage.

What is a resume, and what should I include here?

Resume is an autobiography (автобиография), and can include relevant information about academic and professional experience of the candidate. There are multiple templates online, and candidates are encouraged to use the one that is most appropriate to their needs.

Can I upload a copy of my international passport if it expires prior to December 29, 2019?

Yes, candidates can upload the international passport even if it expires prior to the application deadline. Should the candidate become a finalist, they will be required to obtain a new internationally recognized passport prior to the beginning of the program in the United States.

Can I upload a copy of my internal passport if I currently do not have an international passport?

Yes, candidates can upload a copy of the internal passport if they do not have an internationally recognized passport at the time of application. Should the candidate become a finalist, they will be required to obtain and submit a copy of the new internationally recognized passport.

What page of the international passport should I upload?

Candidates should upload only the information page of the international passport. Applicants should not upload the entire passport with the application.

Who should write the recommendation letter, and is there a required format for this document?

The letter of recommendation can be written by someone (professor or employer) familiar with candidate’s academic and professional experience. The program does not set a specific required template for the letter of recommendation. The person writing the letter of recommendation should explain why the candidate is recommended for the program.

Can international students studying in Russia apply to the YEAR program?

No, only Russian citizens are eligible to participate in the YEAR program.

Do I have to confirm the translation of transcripts by a lawyer or notary office?

Candidates are not required to authenticate the translation of transcripts at a notary office or by a lawyer. Translation of transcripts can be confirmed by a translation office or with a stamp of the university/faculty.

Can distance learning students (студенты заочной формы обучения) apply for the YEAR progam?

Yes, both classroom learning and distance learning students are eligible to apply and participate in the YEAR program.

Should I submit the high school certificate if I am a second year university student in Russia?

No, second year students will upload the university transcript. Only first year students will upload the high school certificate with grades.

Can previous Work and Travel participants apply for the YEAR program?

Yes, former Work and Travel participants can apply for the YEAR program if they returned to Russia after completion of the W&T program.

Do I need to authenticate the copy of the Russian university transcript or high school certificate?

No, the copy of the transcript in Russian does not need to be authenticated. The copy of the English translation can be authenticated by the office of translation or by a stamp from the university, faculty, or department.